Abang and Adik are angels of Encik Kamil and Cik Puan Kamil.

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Just a case of miscommunication

Elsa took something from 7-11. This episode happened on the day of their birthday party. They went out with their Babah to get ice from 7-11 and when they came home, Babah was enraged.

Apparently Elsa came home with a packet of Sugus (grape flavour by the way) that Dan didn’t pay for. In Elsa’s defense she claimed that she had informed Babah that she wanted the candy and didn’t hear Babah’s order to put it back where she got it from… he he. In the car Dan noticed her munching away and was shocked with the discovery of the Sugus in her hand.

Titi was bewildered, Umar was scared, Mummy was…. No biggie lah… go back to the store and pay. Just a miscommunication.

So the very next day all of us bundled into the car and went to the 7-11. Babah had the offending candy in his hand and Elsa on the other. I of course was up to some mischief or… err…. wanted to teach my children a lesson, to instill good values in them, teach them the perils of stealing ….

The shop was behind us so I was on my knees, hugging my seat as I looked at the shop. I could see Babah and Titi clearly. Umar though kept his body facing front, his face rigid, eyes narrowed.

“Habis lah, Titi…(Titi is a goner..)” said Mummy.

“Umm…. They are waving their hands about, I think they are angry… Itulah Titi ni….”

“O-oh… one of them is talking on the phone… I think he is calling the cops…. She is so gonna spend today in jail….”

“Here comes the police car…. They are drawing out their guns…. Oh man…. Titi had her hands up…..”


But as I was giving my so-called live commentary, I noticed that my son was unusually quiet. His body was ramrod straight, his face set in a stony mask. Then I noticed his fists. His hands were formed into tiny fists.

Dear me… he looked like he was restraining himself from doing something. I’d better shut my trap. Titi and Babah were on the way to the car anyway.

He looked slowly to his side when he heard footsteps. Elsa climbed into the car with an embarrassed grin, looking at me and Um. Um just looked at her but this time with a resigned look on his face.

“What happened, Ti ?” He asked, eyes huge as plates (not saucers because normally they are the size as saucers anyway…)

“Nothing…. He heh…”

“The police ?”

“What po….”

“No… the police gave her a warning lah.. She cannot do it again…. They already put her in their book…. They know where she lives….” Evil Mummy cut in.
“There was no police, Mum….” I have forgotten that she has grown.

“Laa…. Abang yang lagi satu tu polis lah…. Dia tak pakai baju polis je sebab dia detective…”

Titi gulped. He heh…

“Don’t do it again, Ti…” Abang said in a quiet voice. No tears, no high pitch voice but a serious, authorative tone that scared the hell out of his mom.

My son had become a man….

Hmmm…..

PS : Kesinambungan ceritanya ialah kelamrin we had dinner at Subway. Elsa ordered 2
cookies (apart from the sarnies of course) but since her tummy is teensy weensy, she had to take it home. Abang saw Elsa grabbed the cookies and put it in her handbag (don’t ask).

“Mum… is Titi allowed to take the cookies home ?” He asked. He was smiling though but he asked all the same.

He he……