Abang and Adik are angels of Encik Kamil and Cik Puan Kamil.

Monday, April 07, 2008

Killer Butterfly

Months ago, I was in my room with my children. Each of us had a book, the telly was off and were reading companionably. Then Elsa looked up and saw a butterfly, hanging peacefully at the wall.

“Look !! Butterfly !!” Said she like she saw a vampire butterfly or something. My children are the most lily-livered children I know (well except for my cousin whose body actually shook whenever he tried to climb the stairs because his house was a 1-storey thing. He he…. He is know a Microbiology or something in that manner Masters Degree holder and is working with/as PTD). Umar jumped a mile and both of them put as much distance as they could from the very docile butterfly.

“Mum ! I’m scared ! Chase it out, Mum. Make it leave.”

“Alah, Umar. Rama-rama aje. It is not going to eat you.”

Elsa trusted me and started to loosen up. She jumped back on the bed. Umar though was jittery. He couldn’t relax, couldn’t concentrate on his book.

“Mummy… you have to chase the butterfly out. Please ….” I so want my peace and quiet so I did his bidding. I opened the nearest window, took Elsa’s fairy wand and poked at it. It flew around for awhile then exited via the window.

“Okay, Um. He’s gone. Kesian dia. He is so harmless. I do not think for a second he could eat you. Haa sekarang he is going to see his mummy and complain about you.”

“No he’s not !” said Umar and I left it at that. After awhile Elsa of course got thirsty and asked for a glass of water. She followed me to the kitchen.

“ Mummy, butterfly tu kan, nanti papa and mummy dia datang ? “

“Maybe…” Said I.

“When the mummy comes, I will talk to her.” She firmly said.

“Oh ? What are you going to say to her ?”

“That is Umar. He made your baby cry. And then mummy dia will marah Umar, like this… Hei you…. You made my baby cry. I am going to get you ( she had her arms on her waist, looking down talking to imaginary Umar at a higher height).”

Tergolak den. Ingat kan dia nak marah orang tu sebab kacau abang dia, rupanya dia serah abang dia kat butterfly tu !


Hmm………

No comments: