Abang and Adik are angels of Encik Kamil and Cik Puan Kamil.

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Tennis and shoes

I went to play tennis with a friend yesterday. Our game was at 7, we finished by 8 and after bathing and praying, I rushed to Up Town Damansara to buy dinner and was home by 9.

When I arrived, my family was already waiting at the door. The sight of my car brought cheers and happy jumps from my kids ( I know their Babah was excited to see me home too, he just looks ugly jumping up and down with happiness, that’s why he didn’t do it ). But when I got out of my car, resplendent in my tennis gear, Umar and Elsa’s happy faces turned into quizzical ones. “ Mum why are you dressed like that ? “ asked my son.

“ Oh this ? I went to play tennis with my friend, “ said I, trying to dodge his eyes, very much like a naughty school girl. While taking out my gym bag from the car, I changed the topic. I really do not want any confrontations that night. I then busied myself with dinner preparations.

When we sat down to eat, Elsa who was sitting next to me suddenly leaned over and said to me, one finger up, “ Mummy, this is night time okay. You cannot play tennis at night. Okay mummy ? “ Her face was in earnest, her eyes round while she told me off.

“ Okay, “ said I meekly, just like a naughty school girl again. Hmmm…………….. I know I will never hear the last of it.

Anyway this morning, I dressed to work with a signing ceremony that I have to attend in mind. Of course I have to dress carefully and therefore was critical of every item I put together. As Umar and Dan was on the porch putting their own respective footwear, I modeled my outfit with a lovely pair of Nine West peep toe pumps, asking for approval. Umar gave me a wide smile and said I looked nice and Dan nodded his head but with a look that said something is not right there, wife. I know that look and I hate that look and he knows that I hate that look. But he also knows that that look could potentially make us late for work. Therefore, he didn’t want to say anything.

I however pressed for an answer. “ Okay tak ? “ and I repeated it a few times while alternating stood straight and pranced about ( which is the best way for them to see the full effect of my outfit ). “ Okay Mum, you look nice, “ but that came for my son and not from my hubby. Again, I repeated the question when Umar again opened his mouth, “ You look nice mum, but it would be better if everybody cannot see your toes, “ and smiled at me.

I was stunned. Dan looked at Umar and said, “ Pandai pun. Exactly my feeling, “. I know that is how Dan feels but degil kan as I love shoes and I love diversity… he he.. Anyway, I shook my head in wonder, gave my son a hug and changed to my normal, very scruffy looking round toed, black Clarks shoes.

“ I am so clever kan Mum ? “ said my son.

Hmmm………………. Learn to be an asset to your wife, sweetheart, okay ?

2 comments:

liadevega said...

I am always amaze that u can do so many things in a day dear! Where did u get that energy?

Anonymous said...

myra, cek tolong jwb ye...
'i ni ramai adik, dah biasa dah!!" hehehe