Abang and Adik are angels of Encik Kamil and Cik Puan Kamil.

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Elsa and her banana

Abang and Adik love bananas. I wouldn’t touch them unless they are fried or dumped in coconut broth ( or nowadays on pizza with kaya sauce yumm !! ). Yesterday after lunch at home, they saw one comb ( sesikat… betul lah kan ? ) with a few fruits still attached to it.

Adik : Adik nak banana Mum.

Mum : Bananana ?

Adik : Not bananana. Banana Mum.

Mum : Okay.

So I went to get two. Abang got to me first and instructed me to peel all the skin off.

Mum : Here is your naked banana.

He laughed. Then I did the same for Adik. As I peeled of one section of skin, she screamed blue murder.

Adik : Mum no !! I don’t want it like that.

Mum : ( Froze, not daring to move ) Like what ?

Adik : Like that… !!

I remember seeing her eating a banana yesterday with the skin only halfway off and therefore tried to give her the same style but with one section of skin missing. She was having none of it. I had to pluck a new one and gave it to her as desired. So what do I do with this banana in my hand ? I do not like fresh banana unless with 3 flavours of ice-cream with nuts and cherries on top plus loads of whipped cream ( oh man…. Babah jom gi Baskins malam nanti ). I saw the love of my life wiping the table and I begged him to eat the rejected banana. He agreed. When he saw the proffered banana, he made a face.

Babah : But I don’t like my banana like that !!

Patutlah anak kau macam ni.

Anyway the 3 bears went upstairs with their bananas and watched the telly. Adik couldn’t finished hers and offered it to us. No takers. She then announced that she is just going to bin them. I really don’t like that. I grew up believing that rice could cry. I grew up feeling guilty when throwing rice away ( since I am all grown up and diagnosed with IBS – Irritable Bowel Syndrom, I have to throw my rice away as I can only take about 20% of them in my diet ). So what is a mother to do ?

Mum : Nanti banana tu cry. He is so sad because he is going to get binned.

Adik : Ha ?

Mum : Kesian banana. Kalau Adik buang dia, nanti dia cry sebab Adik tak nak makan dia.

She was already on the way to the bin turned back.

Adik : Bah, Adik tak makan banana. Babah makan okay ?

Babah : I don’t want lah...

Adik : Adik bin okay Bah ?

Babah : Bin lah.

As she was about to turn and head for the bin, I started,

Mum : Bye bye banana. Don’t cry so much… ( and waved to the banana ).

She stopped.

Mum : ( wailing ) Oh kesiannya banana. He is going to cry in the bin. Bye bye ! Waaaaaaaaa….

Her eyes started to get glassy. She was already upset and still holding the offending banana.

Adik : Babah eat my banana okay ? ( sebak, sebak )

Babah : Nolah Adik. Babah tak nak. Pergi buang.

Mum : Waa……..

Adik : Waaa… !! ( a few times louder than Mummy )

Babah and Abang were already laughing. Adik had her head on the mattress, sobbing.

Mum : Okay lah give it to me. Let me eat it.

Big watery eyes that looked at me were grateful. I took the banana and gave it to Abang.

Mum : Eat.

Abang : Mum….

Mum : Do you want the to banana to cry ?

Abang : Okaylah…. ( very meekly )

Haa… habis cerita.

2 comments:

liadevega said...

Betullah Dan kata, you are driving yr kids crazy...hehe.. Anyway, I do the same method too tp not abt finishing food cos Ayesha mmg makan sampai licin, but asking her tp kutip nasi yang berterabur so that they wudn't cry kat lantai...dlm tong sampah takpe cry. Hehe..mums and manipulation.

Sheik said...

Dulu aku pernah dengar nasik kat tong sampah menangis....eeee seramnye..dalam mimpi le...