Abang and Adik are angels of Encik Kamil and Cik Puan Kamil.

Thursday, June 07, 2007

My baby Adik


When you ask expecting parents what sex do they want their unborn baby to be, some would say boy some would say girl and some would say they welcome either one. Some would say that raising boys are harder than girls and some would say otherwise. To me boys are deliciously boisterous and girls are well.. they get things done more discreetly and subtly. It is a trait needed to be learnt and some learnt very very fast indeed.


Two nights ago as I was tucking my two little children to bed, Adik asked me the typical question she would ask me when I tuck them in. “ Do you want to sleep with me Mum ? “ and I answered with my usual response of “ No darling, I have to sleep with Babah. “. But that particular night, with her head cocked to one side, one eye covered with her hair she looked at me sideways and said, “ You don’t like sleeping with me Mummy ? “ Aaa ? So two nights ago she slept blissfully, sandwiched between her parents.


My baby girl was speaking nonsense for a good part of her life. Then one day she woke up brimming with real vocabs and then there was no stopping her.


The next morning as I was preparing for work, she was as usual selecting her books for the day. When I turned to face her, she said , “ Look at what I had done, dude ! “. Dude ? Even Abang whipped his head to look at her. He then looked at me, eyebrow raised and both of us laughed. Adik sat on the bed, hands on the waist basking at her vocabulary triumph.

“ Baby, don’t ever call me dude again," I said while Abang proclaimed, “ You are so funny Adik !"

Last night I arrived home late. My children jumped off the bed to greet me, happy to see their mammy again. Babah had a function to attend, I was hungry, the kids were peckish and therefore I suggested dinner. Yippee !! They ran to the door.

Adik was waiting for me at the entry. Her hand reached for mine and she said, “ Is that really you Mum ?" She gave me the sidelong gaze that I know so much. I was lost for words. “ Yes, baby this is me." She hugged me and said, “ I am so happy to see you !!" Awww……. honey….

1 comment:

liadevega said...

So sweet... I don't get to see my baby boy grew up but I definitely cherish having an affectionate daughter in the family.