Abang and Adik are angels of Encik Kamil and Cik Puan Kamil.

Monday, June 25, 2007

Missing piece

After Babah’s piano class, at Amelia’s urging we joined Amir at Klinik Adek’s playgroup for a clock making session. It was fun for them, mucking about with scissors, glue and glitter, especially good for Adik as it exposed her to student/teacher relationship ( although it looked like she was ordering the teacher about ) and good for the mammies as they could sit down together for a good chat ( and gossip ).

Amelia showed me a board game that she bought called Make and Break. She assured me of family fun times and so I bought it. She was right. The game was a whole lot of fun. Babah and Abang, the two fiercest competitors fought often. I like to watch my little girl do it though. She was calm, collected, and not at all fuzzed by the ticking clock as she slowly build her blocks. Clever.

And then our tranquillity was shattered by a missing piece. Mummy of course withdrew most privileges until it is found. And being their mum I know which benefit hurt them most, the new playgroup at Klinik Adek.

Adik had a stricken look on her face and Abang sported a thoughtful one when they scurried to look for the piece that can assure the return of their luxuries. He heh…. After a few fruitless searches, Abang conceded defeat. He approached me and apologised profusely for their mistake. Then he started to bargain. The thing that he wanted to keep the most was as I suspected, the novel class.

Every attempt to convince me was not giving him the results that he wanted until he said, “ Mum, I need to learn new crafts !! “ Both Babah and Mummy looked at him enquiringly. Crafts ?

“ I already learnt how to make clocks, now I have to learn other crafts, like stamping or make a mask… It will be very good for me to learn all this… “ he begged. Crafts ? Where did he get that ? Like the other day, I took him to task for being extra bouncy and noisy when he explained that, “ I just want to cheer my sister up !! “ Cheer ?

He had Babah at ‘craft ‘ and so Babah went to look for it but the piece stubbornly remained elusive. Mummy got really tired of seeing her children shuffling about, pretending to look for the now cursed piece, threw her hands up and went down on all fours to locate it. It took her just 2 minutes. 2 whole minutes to find something that her children had tried for hours and for her husband to give up after 15 minutes.

As I held the piece up high triumphantly, I said, “ It takes a woman to do it right. “ Babah looked bored and the children looked relieved. He he…

No comments: