Abang and Adik are angels of Encik Kamil and Cik Puan Kamil.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Bukit Jelutong is too far away ?

Yesterday Babah’s parents went to Singapore. Abang was to be sent to Babah’s eldest sister’s house and Adik to Babah’s youngest sister in Bukit Jelutong. As we rushed to prepare, Abang who was sitting next to his sleeping sister said, “ Mum what about Adik ? Do you know Wan is going to Singapore ? “

Mum : Yeah, I know.

Abang : What about Adik Mum ? Wake her up and send her to Aunty Wawa’s house.

Mum : I will be sending her to Aunty Su’s house.

He went quiet. Brows furrowed, he looked at me.

Abang : It is too far away Mum. Send her to Aunty Wawa’s house.

Mum : Tak boleh Abang. Aunty Wawa could not take care that many of you.

I resumed our preparation.

As I ushered him to the door, Babah was carrying his sister. They sat next to each other in front of the door, huddled close.

Abang : Mum, Bukit Jelutong is so far away. Nanti Abang tak tahu what is happening to her.

Mum : Abang… what is going to happen to her ?

Abang : I don’t know. Just anything.

I ran to get my shoes and put Adik’s things in my car.

Abang : Mum, please.

Mum : I have to send her to Bukit Jelutong Abang. Nobody can take care of her at rumah Aunty Wawa.

Abang : I can. I will be there.

Mum : You will be at school Abang. Please Abang....

Abang : Bukit Jeluting is too far away.

Mum : It is still Shah Alam.

I stood there watching him. He looked at Adik who at that time had move to sit across him. He made a face at her. She smiled.

Mum : Give your brother a hug Adik.

Adik : Bye Abang.

His hug was tight.

Abang : Bye Adik…..

As she loosened her hug to withdrew, Abang tried again, “ Mummm……… “. “ Quit it, Abang. ” I said. “ Your sister will be safe. She will be all right. ” I assured him

In the car, Adik was quiet. She suddenly broke her silence as we approached Bukit Jelutong.

Adik : Are we going to rumah Aida ?

Mum : Yes.

Adik : Is it okay Mum ? Can I go to rumah Aida ?

Mum : Yes… I am sending you there. But…. Let’s not make this a habit….

She went quiet.

Mum : Will you be a good girl Adik ?

Adik : Yes Mum.

Mum : Will you listen to Aunty Su ?

Adik : Yes mum.

Then,

Adik : Mum… where is Abang ?

Mum : Abang pegi sekolah.

Adik : Mum…….. nanti lepas sekolah ?

Mum : Abang pergi rumah aunty Wawa.

Adik : Why Abang pegi rumah Aunty Wawa ?

Mum : ( Sighed… not this one too… ) Because Aunty Wawa jaga boys and Aunty Su jaga girls. It’s okay… you can play with Aida kan ?

She didn’t answer.

No comments: