Abang and Adik are angels of Encik Kamil and Cik Puan Kamil.

Monday, November 20, 2006

Weekend with my kids

I had a good weekend, eventhough hubby had to work Sunday. Took the kids swimming Saturday and Sunday I took the kids to 1Utama to catch Happy Feet.
-
It was a fun movie. I seriously recommend it to everyone, even the singles. It was filled with music, lovely music, that my children couldn't keep all the grooves inside and had to stand up to dance. The first one to loose it was Adik. She suddenly sprang from her seat and got jiggy with it. Abang looked longingly at his sister but maintained his cool. Halfway, at the point where I felt I wanted to groove, Abang followed the music and danced. It was awesome. And sad too. The movie that is.
-
Anyway, we arrived for the movies early and surprisingly the ticket collector/koyak-er allowed us in. I foolishly panicked when I saw the theather empty. Yelah lagi half an hour. Everybody else is waiting downstairs.
-
Anyway, we took to studying the posters to fill our time. Then we came to the poster for Colic, a cerita hantu from Thailand. Earlier, below, near the refreshment stand, he he... this story is funny. Okay dekat refreshment stand tu they have a prop for this Colic movie. Memang masa tengah beratur beli tiket, we keep on hearing a baby cry. Then, when we wanted to queue up to buy popcorn, some people were gathered around something that seemed to be the source of the baby cries sound. We went to menyibuk and rupa - rupanya a prop for the movie. There was a baby basket and inside a very sickeningly dark baby with white eyes and the sound of baby's cries. Okay.
-
Then, as I was queueing up to buy popcorn, I noticed Abang went to see the prop again. I saw him peered inside the basket and then the baby started to wail. OMG ! My son jumped and ran to me. His face registered real terror and fear and his hug was tight. Several people laughed ( including his momma ) but one lady exclaimed, " Oh kesiannya dia... ".
-
Anyway, back to our poster scrutinisation as I mentioned earlier, we saw the poster for Colic. It featured a healthy coloured baby with normal coloured eyes but on his tummy was an imprint of an adult's hand. Then we saw a poster for an upcoming Malay movie. Abang read it out loud , " Zombie Kampung Pisang. Akan Datang. "He he...... he is going to start...
-
As we were lounging around in front of the theater, he asked me the meaning of Akan Datang. I said It's Coming. Then he asked when is it coming ? I said I dunno. Soon I suppose. Mum, he said again, is he coming to get me ? What ? I looked at him and the returned look from him was filled with horror.
No he is not Abang I replied, the truth dawning on me. I don't like zombies, he declared. They eat people. I don't want to die. Then he said again, I don't want to see ghosts because they will try to eat me. Right.
-
Before I can explain, he asked again, where is Kampung Pisang, mum ? Is it near ? Oh man..... I am glad we will be watching a feel good movie.
-
Anyway, on the way home, Adik was asleep at the back seat, and he was next to me when he suddenly assked to me;
Abang : Mummy, how did the setan masuk dalam perut baby tuh ?
-
Mummy : Cerita colic tuh ? Sebab tak baca Bismillah lah... That is why bila nak makan kena baca Bismillah. Kalau tak baca nanti setan will get inside your tummy with your food.
-
Abang : Bismillah is strong sebab dia come from Allah ?
-
Mummy : Yes. Allah will protect you if you read Bismillah. That is why I ask you to read Bismillah sebelum makan and sebelum tidur. So that Allah will give you extra protection.
-
Abang : Tapi baby tu tak tahu baca Bismillah Mummy, macam Adik. Adik punya Bismillah is funny...
-
Mummy : Kalau baby orang yang bagi dia makan and orang yang tidurkan dia kena tolong bacakan Bismillah. Like when you were a baby, Babah and I will read the Bismillah for you to protect you. So Adik pun Babah and Mummy read the Bismillah for her.
-
Abang : What about when you were a baby ? Who did that for you ?
-
Mummy : Tok Mi and Tok Yah lah.
-
Abang : Oh, because they are your father and mother ? That is before you ada Babah and me and Adik ?
-
Mummy : That is right honey.
-
He became quiet for awhile. Then he turned his head to look at his sleeping sister. He suddenly got up and went to to back seat. I heard him whisper the Bismillah. Then he came back in front.
-
Abang : Adik is safe now Mummy. I baca Bismillah for her. She will be okay.
-
I looked at my son, a proud mother and all misty eyed. Then he made things difficult for me;
-
Abang : Mummy if Allah is stronger than setan, why can't he kill setan terus ?
-
Aaa....... Camno nak jawab nih ? My son is a believer of you-better-kill-it-before-it-kills-you philosophy. Like this very morning, I showed him a picture of a tiger that has been cut into 4 pieces. I expressed regret and sadness for the big cat. He looked at me and said,
-
Abang : But mum, tigers makan orang. So now he cannot eat people anymore. People are safe.
-
Mummy : Sure, but wouldn't it be sad if you cannot see tigers anymore, say in the zoo ?
-
Abang : In the zoo I will go and see the nice animals Mummy, like cows and goats and giraffes....
-
Okaylah. I will explain to you better when you are older. This is something that I have to ponder about to give an impact on you.
-
Believe you me, my answer to him didn't make me proud of myself at all... Hmmm......

1 comment:

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Min ada tak buku on how to explain to a 6 year old ? He keeps asking me difficult questions. He had already asked me the all important how-come-a-baby-got-inside-his-mom's-tummy and I did not answer that well either.....