Abang and Adik are angels of Encik Kamil and Cik Puan Kamil.

Monday, January 11, 2010

I only want to hear happy stories...

I love to read newspapers with my children.

They love it too, especially kalau ada gambar yang mencengkam jiwa.

Anyway, we were having breakfast at Ani Sup Utara, before going to the cinema to watch Sherlock Holmes. As we have plenty of time still, we took our time at the restaurant, opening the newspapers and taking short sips of our tea… He heh…

Anyway, the news of the day was a child died in the hands of her/his parents. So I explained to my kids about capital punishments and hanging. They don’t understand hanging so I had to explain, making it as vivid as I could. Luckily, Sherlock Holmes had 2 scenes of hanging so my children should understand it by now.

Anyway, it took quite some time for the kids to understand, plus Abang had a lot of question and his own theories but then suddenly Adik shivered and said, “Mummy, can you turn the page…? Can we talk about something NOT creepy ? Can you tell us a nice story ?”

Ha ha…. As it so happened, it was the day UPSR results came out and I showed my children the pictures of anak petani, and pengayuh lanca that was successful. I of course painted how hard it was for the fathers to find money to afford schooling and how now the successful children had managed to repay all the hardwork.

“Bayangkan lah, Babah dia naik basikal, keliling Bandar cari orang nak naik beca dia… Pagi-pagi, okaylah… Masih redup, the sun not so high up… But by tengahari when the sun is high ? Peluh-peluh Babah dia. “Encik…. Nak naik tak beca saya ?” Sapa yang nak naik beca sekarang ? No air-cond ? There are plenty of taxis with air-conds nowadays. Pusing-pusing lagi and then adalah one passenger. Tapi because beca is slow and no air-cond, he got like 1 ringgit after cycling for 1 hour (sorry, exaggeration to the max). So bila dia balik rumah, dia punya wife mintak duit nak pegi pasar, he can only give her 1 ringgit aje.

Nasi lemak kita makan ni 1 ringgit. So kalau dia ada 3 anak, campur mak and bapak sekali, ada 5 orang. So 5 orang share 1 nasik lemak ? You had 3 Abang… They had to share 1 with 5 people…..(Aku taulah things are not that dire for them but I have to make a point… Lagi sadis lagi dia paham… ha ha....)..”

I was about to make my conclusion when Adik butted in, “Mummy… I thought you are going to tell us happy stories !”

He he…..

Two days ago I read in the papers about Sharlinie, about how she should be in Standard 1 now. I got so sad when I read the article. She got a baby brother now. A brother that she didn’t even know exist.

So that night instead of reading from a story book when I tucked the kids in bed, I talked about her. I talked about what could have happened to her. Abang silently was shedding tears. Hai Abang….

As I got up to leave, Adik pesan, “Mummy, tomorrow apa ni, aaa… apa ni… don’t talk about this anymore okay ? Apa ni… can you talk about something happy ?”

He he…. Ko ni….

2 comments:

Formerly known as Superwomanwannabe! said...

SHOOOOOO SWEEEETTTT....

I now feel like a very very bad mom...I should now start to read to the kiddoes too!

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Superwoman, first I envy your name...

Second, dont feel bad as I am a very reluctant bedtime stories reader. As on Mondays, they sleep at the same time Mark Harmon appears. Plus I would rather if they read themselves !!

I am a bad mom... Teruknya aku ni...