Abang and Adik are angels of Encik Kamil and Cik Puan Kamil.

Thursday, November 12, 2009

What is wrong, Um ?

Yesterday I picked up my children from school. We arrived way too early Elsa and I so we sat in the car listening to the radio and talking while waiting for the bell to ring.

We got out of the car exactly at 1 and as we walked, I got a pleasant surprise of seeing my son already walking towards us as he is usually the last to leave the school. He didn’t know I was already there, right in front of him as he walked with his head down. Still his eyes were visible and seeing it I knew immediately that something was wrong.

If only I can describe his face. Seriously first I was struck by how gorgeous he looked. Anak aku, gorgeous le untuk aku…. Sometimes, his baby face would emerge and I would sigh, remembering him as a newborn. Then I could see that he was upset, the way he had his head down, a little frown, eyes troubled and then when he looked up at me, his smiles were somber. But it was the eyes that gave it away.

I think Elsa saw it too as she was very quiet next to me.

“What is wrong, Um ?”

“Nothing…”

“You are upset. Tell me why.”

He hesitated a bit and then, “Tadi kat delam kelas we played football. But since we do not have a ball we used a bottle cap. My friend J tendang the ball kan lepas tu kena my friend I. Sampai berdarah dia punya ibu… errmmm… ibu…” He pointed at his feet. Both Elsa and I looked at where he pointed.

“Ibu jari kaki ?”

“Yes …. And sampai berdarah !”. Elsa gasped.

“Are you hurt Um ? Is it still berdarah ?” She asked, face horrified. He he… aku dah agak dah minah ni. “No lah. Not me….” And she took a long relieved breath and said, “Ohhh…. Your friend ye ?”

Hmmm…. Something just doesn’t add up.

“Why are you upset, then ?” I persisted.

“Because saya kesian dekat dia lah Mummy….” He didn’t look at me when he said that, he faced downward again.

“Um… you are upset about something. Something happened that involved you. That story you told me just now has got nothing to do with you. Tell me what happened to you. You are upset. Cikgu marah ? You did something to make other people angry ? Somebody did something to you ?”

He rolled his head in a resigned manner and started to speak, “I was reading kan and then suddenly my friend D came from behind and terkejutkan saya….”

“Is that all ?”

“Iya.. dia buat banyak-banyak kali… Saya marah lah.”

“Did you tell your teacher about it ?”

“Yes… Tapi cikgu kata biarkan aje…”

Dia diam, aku diam. I am not convinced. There is something my baby is not telling me.

Is he in trouble ? Did he do something wrong ? Or some people did some bad things to him ? Is he being bullied ?

My baby…

2 comments:

Ah-Zee said...

dah dapat korek info on what was troubling Umar?

elsa is a funny one, hehe... such a drama queen. i wonder who she takes after.

Cik Puan Kamil said...

He has remained very tight lipped. Actually I didn't ask him again pun. I was hoping he was gonna tell my sis but she has no stoty to tell me either...

I am wondering ... Hoe he is not in trouble...