Abang and Adik are angels of Encik Kamil and Cik Puan Kamil.

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Umar got me thinking

Okay… ini cerita sayu pasal anak aku Umar. Mungkin kalau hangpa baca you feel it is nothing, but aku ni... well, aku dok teringat-ingat aje sampai sekarang.

Ahad, we had lunch with Dan’s parents and his sister’s family. Nak balik, all the cucus trooped in Atuk’s car and my children after that followed their cousins home.

Yesterday, in the car with my kids, just the 3 of us, Umar told me of the wonders that there was in his aunt’s house. “Rumah Aunty W kan ada PS3 Mummy !! Best saya main. And dia orang have so many things to play with sebab dia orang tak payah share computer…”

“Really ? Ada berapa bijik computer kat rumah Aunty W ?”

“They have 3 computers and 1 laptop and now the PS3 ! Best kita main !” He said enthusiastically.

“A-ah kan Um ? Best kan kita main ?” Elsa concurred but I could detect a hint of longing in her tone. You know… like wistful.

I sighed. Bila aku bercakap, aku rasa ada sedikit getaran di suara dan hati. Aku tak tahu kenapa aku rasa macam sedih. “Umar, Elsa… I am so sorry that I cannot provide you with all those things. Kita ada computer tapi computer lama… so very slow. And you guys have to share..”

Aku sesungguhnya tak tahu kenapa aku rasa macam ni, rasa macam nak nangis.

“I can’t afford to buy you all those okay and for that I am very sorry.... I am sorry you guys cannot have the fun things that your cousins have… Mak bapak dia orang banyak duit and Mummy and Abah not so….”

In truth, benda-benda tu semua mahal bagi aku sebab aku tak rasa it is important. Ada kawan aku pernah cakap, dia heran giler bapak dia boleh beli the latest BMW tapi nak pasang 2 Astro kat rumah dok merungut mahal. Well aku explained sebab bapak dia rasa Astro tu tak penting but the BMW is. Untuk orang yang tak suka tengok tv, mahal lah nak bayar RM 138 sebulan.

Samalah macam aku. Aku rasa benda tu semua distraction and ada banyak benda lain yang better for my children to pass their time with. Like playing together and conversation and reading and using their imagination to play.

Once Dan whistled for me when I was watching the telly. When I got to him, he pointed to our children sitting side by side blowing bubbles at the patio. Elsa was paddling her feet and Umar was talking non-stop, creating scenarios for the bubbles they blew. It was an awesome sight to me and time well spent.

Although I agree that playing games can also help with a child’s development but it is also very, very addictive. And that to me is the most worrisome aspect of it. This is also why we only have 1 Astro installed eventhough we have 3 tellies. Also I totally refused to have a telly installed in my car. To me that is too much. Look at the sceneries outside for crying out loud. Ada lembu ada pokok and building and architectures that can be admired, live ! Kat rumah tengok tv, dalam kereta tengok tv jugak lagi ?

I remember masa kecik-kecik, my mother would always hambat kita orang pergi sembahyang come Maghrib. “Tutuplah Doraemon tu ! Bising betul. Maghrib-maghrib pi pasang cerita kartun bising lagu tu !”

My dad pulak will say, “Korang ni baguslah. Dalam kubur nanti Munkar Nankir tanya sapa tuhan kamu hangpa ni mesti jawab “TV !” Puuunnng ! Kena pok dengan dengan besi panaih. Padan muka !” Dengar tu kami pun mencanak-canak bangkit pi ambik wuduk. Telly too is very addictive. Lagi lah ni ada channel berpuluh-puluh. Masa ada 2-3 channel pun dak cukup melekap.

And then to buy one for each of my children ? Definitely not. Sharing is the operative word here. Learning to share is very important to me as I believe sharing breeds genorisity. My boss had twice complimented Tan Sri Azman Hashim’s brother for raising a smart and courteous son. I want that. I want smart and courteous children. Self effacing, kind and considerate.

But that doesn’t mean that I find Aunty W’s way is wrong. That is her right. That is her choice. She knows what she is doing as I do know the path I am leading my children to.

Itulah alasan – alasan ku and to tell my children that, well I don’t think they will appreciate it much. But saying I can’t afford to pay for those stuffs is true because I find them very, very expensive.

And then my son speaks, “Mummy… It’s okay. The most important thing is my parents. I have you as my mother and Abah as my father. That is the most important thing, okay ? I don't mind if we don't have those things because I have you and Abah.” And with that he squeezed my arm.

Aku terkedu sekejap. Mata aku dah berair. I looked at him from the rearview mirror and saw him smiling, his face kind.

“That is soooo sweet, Umar…”

He nodded his head, again smiling kindly at me.

“Thank you. I really appreciate that….”

I watched the telly thinking about that very moment, I cooked and talked but my mind kept wandering to that moment. I kept hearing his voice saying it over and over again. I cried a few times.

Hmmm…. Maybe I will reward him with a console. For his birthday next month probably. After all, he did get 100% on his BM kan ?

I really have to think this through.

Dan hati aku ini bertambah sayu dan syahdu.... If syahdu means what I think it means lah...

4 comments:

Kak Ezza@makcik Blogger said...

pada akak kita tak perlu men ada kan segala nya untuk tunjuk yang kita sayang anak..cukup lah pada apa yang ada...patut ajar nak to share!..akak lihat ramai mak bapak kalau mebli kan si abang permainan, kena beli kan si adik bende yang sama jugak..rasa macam tak adil kata nya..Pada akak salah cara macam tu sebab akhir nya kita akan lihat anak kita akan penting kan diri sendiri saja..akak ada lihat adik ipar akak buat macam tu..bila mak dia beli burger kata kan lah..anak dia akan makan sorang2 saja tanpa memikir kan sepupu lain sedang memandang...sedih kan..

Lagi semua ni duniawi saja...yang penting didikan agama yang baik dan tahu menghormati orang yang lebih tua..Myra..anak kamu akan menyenang kan hati kamu satu hari nanti...Insyaallah!

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Kak saya terima kasih dengan doa akak... Lega saya ada orang setuju dengan cara saya ni...

liadevega said...

Myra,
don't feel sad u can't give them what others can. U are doing it the right way, giving them materials will spoil them in the end.

Aku selalu suruh anak aku tengok/compare ngan kawan2 dia yg lebih susah bila she starts demanding this and that...tengok bawah, jgn asyik tgk kat atas saja.
And I never feel guilty doing it that way.

Bila pergi vacation, aku ajar dia bersyukur kita ada rezeki lebih utk bercuti...most of her friends tak pernah naik kapal terbang pun. Food also, jgn demand nak makan apa, makan apa yg terhidang atas meja..itu rezeki kita utk hari tu.

I hope we will breed good generation of ummah for the future.

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Ya.. Insya-Allah...