Abang and Adik are angels of Encik Kamil and Cik Puan Kamil.

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Dah makan dah ?

I have noticed that my daughter has a very loving and thoughtful nature

You know how we send our maid away on weekends. Sabtu pagi hantar, Ahad petang or malam ambik.

And everytime, everytime Elsa sees her… either as soon as she gets in the car or when we arrive home, she will ask, “Bibik dah makan ?”

Sometimes whenever I come home late, after the customary greetings, she would ask me, “Mummy dah makan ?”

She will also be concerned with her darling Abah’s tummy content, “Abah dah makan ?”

Two-three weekends ago I made kari bendi, daging masak merah (resepi dari my darling Jubei… menjadi okay, thank you) and kerabu su-un. The kids came running into the kitchen, baru balik from their class as I set the table. Elsa seeing food gave a whoop of delight and washed her hands. She climbed on the chair, did a survey of the dishes that I made and started scooping su-un onto her plate.

She stopped midway, frowned, looked at me with wide eyes and asked, “Mana ayam untuk U-um, Mummy ?” She knows her abang’s food preference. I shook my head and said there was to be no ayam on the menu that day. She then asked, “U-um nak makan apa ?” I pointed to the beef.

She looked at the food unconvincingly. Then she turned her head and said to her brother, “Um ! Um boleh tak makan beef ? You like beef right ?” She shifted her eyes to me and asked, “Does U-um like beef ?” (She, my little girl likes to ask me, “Do I like that ?” whenever she sees something unfamiliar or new on her plate… he he….). I shrugged.

“Um ! You will like this beef Um. It is yummy ! Come ! Let’s eat…” What a thoughtful little girl I have, making sure that everybody has something they like to eat.

Last week I made chicken chop for dinner, to be accompanied by creamy mashed potatoes and corn kernels. Elsa of course had to set the table and when I laid the food she inspected my offerings.

“Um ! Chicken chop, Um !”

“Um ! Ada mashed potatoes AND gravy !”

“Ada corn Um.. like the one that you like.. !”

Aku nengok je budak kecik ni. She saw me looking, and went, “What ? I was just telling him what he likes …” complete with the cutest shrug ever.

Last Sunday we had dinner at a restarant. 20 minutes after the children’s food arrived, ours still failed to materialize. As I was talking to Dan, Elsa suddenly interrupted our conversation.

“Mummy ? Your food is still not here yet ?”

“Yes…” I answered in a mournful tone.

“Are you hungry ?” I nodded. She looked at her Babah and asked him the same question. Babah nodded. She looked at me again and at then at her Babah, her hand already on her plate. As soon as she opened her mouth, our plates arrived.

Mummy tahu Elsa mesti nak offer her food to us.

You are wonderful, you know that Elsa ?

No comments: