Abang and Adik are angels of Encik Kamil and Cik Puan Kamil.

Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Archie and Veronica

When I came home yesterday, after the customary greetings and hugs and kisses and brief exchange of the day’s news, I went upstairs to shut myself in the room for a little rest.

But of course, no Mummies in the world were ever left alone so after about 5 minutes I heard the pitter patter of small feet working up the stairs and my baby girl flinging the door open. While chattering, she selected a book from a book shelf in the room, opened it and became quiet.

Bliss. Mummy just needs to rest her eyes, not sleep, just close it for a teensy while. Then I heard a giggle. Opened one eye and saw my little girl reading her Archie’s comic book with a wide smile.

Closed my eyes again.

I heard her giggle again and these words, “Mum… this book is soooo funny !!”

Really ? Archie is funny to my 5 year old ? Very impressive indeed.

“If you like it so much, we can always go buy some more…” Said I encouragingly. She gave me a 1000 watt smile. What a smile, I tell you. Happy, Mummy closed her eyes again.

Another giggle. Then she got up from the sofa and joined me in bed, giggling and shaking her head. Curious, I made the mistake of asking her what so tickled her funny bones ?

“Budak perempuan tu ada boyfriend….” She said, not shyly but as a matter of factly. You know, just stating a fact that there is this girl in this comic who has a boyfriend. I was expecting some shyness because well you know, she is a little girl, and usually this subject is discussed with some blushes all around. Hell, even us adults sometimes discussed the matter of the hearts with some degree of self-consciousness.

“Oh ?” Was what all I could muster. I made a mistake again by pushing the matter deeper. “Why is that funny ?”

“Because she is kissing her boyfriend. They kiss sama-sama….” She said with a laugh and quickly opened the pages. Ha ? Kissing ? That was what she got from Archie ? That was what she like from it ? I gloated too soon. I groaned inside, wishing I had never asked.

“Let me show you…..” Her face concentrating on the task at hand, eager to show her mummy the picture of 2 cartoon characters kissing, as she put it, sama-sama.

“Ada banyak….” She said again, and giggled. I was torn between satisfying my curiousity and not wanting to know. As I was still deciding which one I wanted, she brandished an opened page in front of me.

“See ? See ? Dia cium sama-sama… Together !!” She said. My eyes focused on a picture of Archie smooching Veronica (why always Ronnie and not Betty ?), pink hearts all over the place.

He heh…. I laughed. It is funny if you think about it. Well…. hmmm….

Anyway, soon after Babah came home and I told him the story. He frowned at the giggling Elsa.

“Ti… jangan buat Abah pening kepala, Ti !! Merepek…” Elsa and I burst out laughing. I don’t know why but we did. My mom did tell me that one of my problems is I find kids a big colossal joke. When I was small, gelek-ing Ijat or Mail on my hips, I was always laughing at their impertinence. Mum would be cross and say, “Jangan gelak.. Marah !! Kecik-kecik memanglah kelakar… karang dah besar terbiasa….” Well… you know the drill. I still haven’t learnt. But thank Allah SWT for Rashdan.

Elsa grabbed the offending comic again and showed Daddy Dearest another scene of Archie and Ronnie’s kissing scene. Abah’s frowned deepened. “Merepek le kau ni…. Jangan buat Abah pening, kay ?” Said he, patting his daughter’s head affectionately.

And Elsa knew how to get into her father’s high regards again. “Tapi kan Bah, Reggie ni naughty kan….?” She said, head nodding knowingly. It worked, as Babah looked at her with respect, “Pandai pun…. Reggie naughty kan ?” He said with a smile.

Elsa was on a roll. “Ha… kan, Bah. Pastu kan Veroroninica (he he…) naughty sikit….kan ?” She purloined that thought from me actually, naughty girl but Babah was smiling even wider. Age old tricks that little girls learnt from the wombs, I suppose.

But, Babah is not that stupid as the very next day, when we went to have dinner at Tony’s in Uptown, Elsa found rows and rows and rows of Archie comics at the local newsagent. She squealed happily but Babah quickly told her off. “No ! Jangan merepek….” He he….

I though couldn’t bear her crestfallen face so suggested maybe we could find Little Archie comics. Archie and his gang were little in that particularly titled comics so probably there are no inappropriate scenes. Plus there are Sabrina The Teenage Witch and Casper The Friendly Ghost in Little Archie.

However, fate was not with Elsa. We couldn’t locate any Little Archie and she went home empty handed.

I had to hide that particular Archie comic and check the rest that I have in keeping. Babah wants them to be rated PG.

Ha ha…

3 comments:

Puteri's territory said...

elsa is funny. Couldn't help but imagining her face when she said alll those things. Must be classic!

Puteri's territory said...

Hi Myra
Elsa is cheeky.. so cute..
Remember me? Been a silent reader of your blog. You write well, enjoy reading every post. take care.

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Kak Puteri !! Hello !! Why lah u been a silent reader !! Be a noisy one !!

You really made my day !!