Abang and Adik are angels of Encik Kamil and Cik Puan Kamil.

Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Elsa's try at the art of hinting

“Mummy…. I want to have something nice tonight, Mummy….” Said my daughter when I came home on Monday.

“Good… Mummy puasa hari ni…. So I am verra hungry !! Kita pegi makan kat Kuting Besar nak ?” Kuting is what baby Umar called udang and since the floating restaurant at the tasik sported a huge neon-lighted picture of udang, Umar calls it Kuting Besar and so it remained until today.

She made a face. “Tak nak lah, Mummy….” Mengeliat-mengeliat atas katil. “If we go to Kuting Besar we eat nasi… Tadi saya dah makan nasi dah…..”

“Alah…. I am soooo hungry sebab puasa…. I would love to eat Kuting Besar….” Said me.

“Alah….. I don’t want to go to Kuting Besar…..” She re-iterated.

Hmm….. In my head, all our favourite restaurants flashed through one by one but nothing seemed to linger longer than the others.

“So… what do you want to eat then ?” I asked. She frowned, chin on her hand and had a good think.

“Saya tak tahu lah….” She finally said.

“Well if you don’t want to eat Kuting Besar, you have to think of another place…. It is too late for me to cook something….” I eyed the juicy plum that I brought upstairs as my buka. Yummm….

“What do YOU feel like eating ?” She finally said. Ya Rabbi !! Sebijik le macam bapak ko nak oii…..

“I told you I want to go to Kuting Besar…. So that is where I want to go….” I reminded her, exasperation around the corner.

“Hmm… tapi tadi saya dah makan nasi…..” Are we going there again ? We are definitely going round and round and round again.

“Okay lah…. Macam ni lah… I will order mee for you, okay ?”

“Kat Kuting Besar ada mee ke ?” She asked, face in bewilderment.

“Ada lah… banyak kali kan kita makan mee kat situ….”

She went quiet, no answer. I know the conversation is not over and by then had a suspicion that she is not telling me all of it. She started to draw imaginary pictures on my duvet. I waited.

Then it came. “Kat situ ada mee tomyam tak ?” She asked, after consulting her notebook (I will tell this story later in my own blog…. Ha ha).

I shook my head. Aduhai anak ku. Kenapa cakap berkias ? Why can’t you just spell out what you want ? Nak pegi Secret Recipe ke ?

Sadly, Abah hates Secret Recipe. So I tell you what, Mummy’s little girl. Next weekend, Abah ada event. We go then, kay ?

Muaaahhh !

No comments: