Abang and Adik are angels of Encik Kamil and Cik Puan Kamil.

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Mengintai Umar

Today I decided to resume my activity of observing my baby in his classroom. The windows were unfortunately closed but as expected, one window pane was missing. However the gaping hole ws at the lowest rung, so I had to crouch to look at my son.
As I straightened myself up, one by one the windows flew and I caught Umar's teacher smiling at me. Busted !! Oh... malunya....
Thank you Puan Zalidah. You made spying more comfortable for me.
Anyway, she drew a big face on the board and asked her students to go in front and lead the class to spell and pronunce the different parts of the face. She asked for volunteers and my son was one of the eager hand wavers. Bangganya emak yang dok tercangak kat luar ni.
She chose my son (maybe because I was outside) and Umar went to the front. Cutenya dia.... He spelt and he made the sound and the class followed. Then he had to hand the very big ruler ( I remember those very well. It was brandished in front of me many times ) to the next volunteer and saw me. He was unsure and he had to move left and right to make sure it was really his mammy while mammy tried to hide behind the very thin galah panjang pole. He returned to his seat still trying to get a clearer view of me. When he sat down he was sure as who else has a shocking pink baju kurung ( he he .. kotnya lah... nak menyedapkan cerita ).
He smiled the sweetest smile (in my book at least) and mouthed " I am okay... " Somehow, I was embarrassed. Malu lagi. I waved and he nodded, still smiling and looking happy.
My baby. My baby.
Yesterday, I came home to Dan's misty eyes, leafing through his album. From his birth on a cold winter morning, to his first tooth, his first this and first that.... Dulu I used to be angry at my dad for his reluctance to let us go, to allow us to grow up. His favourite sentence to us was " (Insert any of our names) toksah besar lah. Jadi baby sampai bila - bila okay ? " or " Tak payah lah pi/ambik lesen kereta/masuk asrama/do this/do that ( delete where apppropriate ) sebab (insert name again) kan baby ayah. Nanti ayah ngeh ( nangis ).... "
But now....Hmmm....

No comments: