Abang and Adik are angels of Encik Kamil and Cik Puan Kamil.

Friday, July 06, 2007

Take it easy, Mum

Abang is so going to write a memoir of his life when he is grown. It will be titled “ My crazy Mummy and I. “ Hmmm…………

On Tuesday Babah had to attend his company dinner. So I took my children out. Abang jumped in the front seat first and Adik whined because she too wants the much coveted seat. Since Abang was there first fairly and squarely, I told Adik she can sit in front on our return home.

I could feel her sulking behind me.

When we get to UiTM café, Adik walked with both her arms folded. I then teased her to get her smiling again. She started crying instead. How can I take a crying child to dinner ?

I turned my family back to the car and tried to make her quiet. All my kind questions were ignored which of course then turned into orders for her to hush and my shooting daggers stares came to naught. I didn’t want to bribe or pujuk because her behavior was unacceptable. I didn’t want her to think that she has the one-upsmanship on me with her cryings.

Then I sent Abang to do the job. He too was unsuccessful. I then asked Abang to get inside the car and I started the ignition. As I sat there in my car with the background of my daughter howling like there is no tomorrow, I was reminded of a time when Abang was younger and started to wail at the supermarket because I refused to buy him something. I did what all parents should do ( according to me and my way of parenting lah. I have to say, it is not for everyone ) wailed a few times louder than him. I stopped at throwing tantrums and rolling on the floor of course, but I did wail and stomped my feet. People looked but I got what I wanted. Abang stopped crying. My antics embarrassed him. Ha ha.. back at ya, my son. Back at ya…

So, I started to scream. My children who rarely hear my raised voice were shocked. Adik stopped crying immediately and looked at me in terror. She then let out a little repressed cry and I started screaming again. Just a healthy ‘Arrgghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!! ‘.

When I looked at Abang, his eyes were wide and his face.. well was priceless. He came to me and put a reassuring hand on my shoulder. “ Take it easy Mummy. Take it easy, “ he said while rubbing my arms.

When we returned home, Adik was quiet and Abang had a thoughtful look on his face. They went to bed straight away without protests. I left their door ajar so that I could see the going-ons in the room. Abang scrambled to his sister as soon as he thought I had close the door and gave her a hug.

“ Please don’t cry anymore Adik. You know Mummy tak suka, “. Adik gave a teary “ Okay Abang. “.

“ Mummy is old and tired Adik, “ He reminded her. Cess !

“ I’m sorry Abang. “

I let them be. Let them reflect on the happenings of the day as I need to sit down and reflect too.

The next morning, as I was preparing Abang for school, I heard him called my name. When I looked at him, he smiled but with a mature look on his face.

“ Mummy, next time kalau Adik cry, you don’t go crazy okay Mummy ? “

“ Oh? “ said I .

“ Just take it easy Mum… “ was all he said and hugged me.

Hmmm………. So who taught whom a lesson ?

Would he had felt differently about it if I had always been a yeller ?

No comments: