Abang and Adik are angels of Encik Kamil and Cik Puan Kamil.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

When December comes....

Yesterday was not a good day for me. It was filled with innuendos and sarcasm from my itty bitty ones.

It is December and my friends know what December means to us, Umar and Elsa’s birthday party. Being born in December is agony for them. People had birthdays through out the year and their turn seemed a long way ahead. They would start to ask about their birthdays in February because Ana’s birthday is in that month. It doesn’t matter that they just had their party two months before because since it is new year, they start counting anew.

After Ana, then Esya in May. Then Mummy’s and Babah’s and a hoard of Mamus and Ciks through out June and July. But that doesn’t really count because we don’t exactly have a huge party. Jealousy surfaced again in August for Harith’s birthday then in rapid succession as every month after August there will definitely be a party of a cousin or friend.

So come December, they were already giddy with anticipation. Starting 1st December, Umar had been yapping about his birthday and yesterday was the 10th day they had been cleverly dropping hints and inserting birthday stories in our conversations.

Yesterday took Elsa and Babah to DEMC. Babah down with flu and Elsa because she was covered with scabs. It turned out she got it from gardening with me. Doctor prescribed her oral antibiotics and therefore Babah and Mummy (well more Mummy because Babah was unwell and was resenting the fact that Babah picked out a good time to be sick) were dreading the days ahead.

Anyway, when we got home, the sight of the white liquid made Elsa wince and shudder. Surprise, surprise this time she did not make a fuss. Nada ! Not a tear or even a whine ! She made faces sure, but there were no fuss, no tantrum. Both Mummy and Babah were flabbergasted as we were geared up for a fight. You couldn’t imagine the confusion and the relief that quickly followed. Mummy and Babah were praising her like mad, patting her and hugging her. I happily thought the pep talk I gave her before we entered the house what made her all agreeable and obedient. However as usual, when it came to my children I was wrong.

After we cleared the table of all the medicines, I opened the backdoor to hang the clothes to dry. Elsa joined me and since she is always following me around, I did not suspect anything. I was standing on a stool, reaching for the umbrella line, when she started praising herself, “Mummy… I am a good girl. I tak nak nangis pun kan.. ?” I smiled at her and agreed that she is indeed a wonderful girl.

“Saya tak muntah pun, Mummy…I just went ‘Wek, wek’ a bit but no muntah !!” She said triumphantly.

I looked down and smiled at her. Then,

“I am a good girl kan ? So…. Saya nak PSP !!”

I almost fell.

“Eh ? What ?” Asked I.

She grinned sheepishly. “PSP..” She said quickly, in a breath.

I had my hands on my hips when I yelled for her father. No wonder she did not create a fuss while taking her medication. She was hoping for a reward !!

Anyway, I sent my children to their class yesterday afternoon. And since the class is in Sek 9, we passed the new party favours shop again and of course it prompted yet another conversation regarding their birthdays. Umar asked me what am I giving him for his birthday and my answer is the same as the years previously, “A party, sweetheart. A party…” He he….

2 hours after that on the way home, we were discussing their new favourite song by Secondhand Serenade. Biasalah, the love theme, the professing of undying love encouraged a lecture from me. “When you are all grown, please choose a nice girl to marry, okay..” Advised Mummy. “Find somebody that can take care of you, yang rajin sembahyang, yang tak garang…. Somebody with a sweet disposition…. And you yourself, must take responsibility of taking care of your family… Be nice, jangan garang-garang…..”


“Oh…. Don’t worry Mummy…” assured my son. “Nanti bila saya ada anak… I will be extra nice to them, Mummy. When it’s their birthday, I will give them a party AND a present !!”


Waduh !! How sarcastic can you be, my son ? I looked at him, expecting him to smile victoriously but I only saw a very serious face. Hmm… maybe he was just being honest, I thought. But when he thought I wasn’t looking, the smile that I so expected was very much there.


Aaarggghhh !!


3 comments:

Norliana Abdul Rahman said...

pandai sungguh anak2 hang buat taktik mintak hadiah... sori lah ye umar and elsa.. auntie konot dah 2 tahun x dpt dtg party u all...

Nuyui said...

Reminds me of kecik-kecik dulu. I hardly wanted presents for my birthday but I do made a deal with my mom if I get the top of the class, she will get me something I wanted. hahaha!

Cik Puan Kamil said...

It's ok Konot.. next year k ?

That is a good deal Nuyui. Wish my son would offer the same thing to me....