Abang and Adik are angels of Encik Kamil and Cik Puan Kamil.

Monday, December 15, 2008

Cerita Hantu Dalam Baby Monitor

Yesterday we sat down to watch Afterlife, a British drama on BBC Entertainment. It is something like Ghost Whisperer but better and more realistic. Not the ghost part obviously but the normal looking actress wearing normal looking clothes with realistic accommodation and transportation packet. To me a lot of American shows promote too beautiful people with too thin bodies and a lifestyle that doesn’t match their occupation.

Anyway… yesterday’s episode was about a couple with a baby who was haunted by a presence of a man who killed himself because his son drowned on his watch. The e-ek (hantu) of course wanted the couple’s son Tom for himself, to replace his dead son and was attaching himself to the baby. His presence was mainly through the baby monitor where you can hear him singing the lullaby to the baby.

The ending was sad. When the heroine Alison was talking to the wife outside the house (they were moving house that very night because the initially non-believer wife finally had an encounter with the e-ek), the husband left the son in the very bathtub the previous baby drowned in (I don’t know why they just can’t leg it asap), the door closed and the audience was subtly told that the baby had gone with the hantu.

It was really sad. I sighed and looked at my open-mouthed children.

“Mum…. When I was little, I slept with you, kan ? You did not let me sleep alone kan ?” asked my son, all anxious.

“Kenapa pulak ?”

“Well you did not let me sleep alone kan because it is very dangerous for babies to be left alone….”. He answered.

I sighed.

“Umar….. you are already 8. Nothing happened to you so it doesn’t matter whether you slept alone when you were small kan ?”

“Yes… but it still dangerous, Mummy…” He persisted.

“Um… this is just a story, Um. This is not real. Very much like Pokemon and Digimon and Superman are not real. Sebelum tidur baca 3 Qul, kan ? So you have nothing to be worried about….” This is actually an excerpt of my long winded explanation.

We went straight to bed afterwards. The kids and I were talking on my bed before Babah joins us and switches off the light when suddenly Elsa sat on me.

“Mum….” Her face was in earnest. “The hantu took baby Thomas away ke, Mum ?”

“Tak delah… that is just a story….”

“Really ? But the hantu tutup pintu sebab nak ambik baby Thomas kan ?”

“Takde lah…. Bila cerita tu dah habis, the director yelled “CUT!” and the baby Mummy dia ambik lah balik…..”

“Oh… okay….” Relief was all over her face.

Then Babah came in and after a fight with Babah because she wanted to continue with her book ( Mummy…. Lottie sekarang dah nak mandi dah….. he he….. Cerita pasal Lottie anak gajah yang tak nak mandi.. Oh yes… my daughter can already read. I am so proud of her and very grateful to Al-Ikhlas. They promised in 8 months time my daughter could read, but they did it in 6. Thank you, Al- Ikhlas ! ) but Babah wanted to switch off the light. Of course Babah won that argument.

As soon as Babah landed on the bed, I heard a louder than usual “Qul hu wallah hu ahad !!” He he….