Abang and Adik are angels of Encik Kamil and Cik Puan Kamil.

Thursday, October 25, 2007

9 days with my kids

I had wonderful 9 days with my children. I was happy to be with them and them.. well they showed me what they really are capable of doing.

Let’s start with Abang. I think I have mentioned that we trained our kids to be able to talk and express themselves. I teach ( well taught now since we are thinking of stopping this particular type of training ) them to be able to do things for themselves, have no fear of voicing out what they need and what is required.

Then one fine day during Raya, we found that we have actually over trained him…Selamatkan lah aku, Ya Allah….

We were at McDonald’s ( save me again, Allah ) and as usual, with the Happy Meal comes a toy that is gender specific. Since I have a pair, I asked for one boy toy which was a dino-robot thing and a girl one which was My Little Pony doll. Adik dislikes toys with flowing hairs and asked for a change. We of course sent Abang to do the deed. He approached the manager, a guy with a protruding belly and looked nowhere near my son’s age.

“ Dik, dik… boleh tak adik saya nak tukar toy ni ? ” It was a horrifying moment for any mothers. I looked at the guy and he was looking down at my son, one hand on the counter top and lips one thin line. Babah clutched my arms.

I think the guy asked what sort of toy Adik wanted because Abang answered, “ Dia nak toy robot jugak. Boleh tak ? ” He bent down and handed it over to Abang. Abang shook his head and said, “ Adik saya tak nak yang ini. Dia nak yang lagi satu…. ” and proceeded to the toys’ display and pointed at the desired toy.

When he came back, he informed us that they do not have any other toys but the same one that he has, so Adik has to be contend with it. Babah and I looked at him as he resumed his eating.

“ Why did you call that guy dik ? ” I asked.

“ I don’t know… ” he shrugged.

“ He is older than you, you know… ”. He looked at me and nodded his head. “ So, you should call him abang.. ”. At this point he looked at me, realizing that this is another lesson of life that we are bestowing on him, also means that he done a whopper yet again.

“ That was quite rude, Abang calling somebody older than you adik…” said I again. At this point, his eyes went bigger and rounder, a sure sign that he is going to cry. I sighed and shoved a calorie laden fry inside my mouth instead.

The next morning, he was hounding us to get him to a pasar mini. “ I want to buy Transformers card ” said he, raya money burning in his pocket. “ Which pasar mini ? ” Seksyen 9, he answered. I racked my brain for a pasar mini at Seksyen 9 and took him to the one at seksyen 8.
Babah went in with him and before Babah could open his mouth, he asked the shopkeeper, “ Pakcik ( he got it right this time ) dekat sini ada jual kad Transformers tak ? ” The pakcik answered in negative form but showed him a Transformers packet that has a toy inside. Hmmm…. Well he had to make a sale, I suppose. My son took it and started to feel the packet, to gauge the toy inside. “ Boleh pecah tak toy ni ? Sebab kalau senang pecah nanti mak saya marah…. ”. Aduih, tensionnya budak ni. You don’t have to rat on your mother you know. The pakcik of course said the toy could survive brimstone and fire. Without asking for his father’s permission, he said he’ll take it and paid for it and left, leaving a bewildered Babah in the shop.

Hmmmm………….

Si Adik pulak lain ceritanya. I took them to their piano class on Saturday the 8th of Raya. I waited on the bench in front of their classes when Adik came out first with her teacher in tow. She took my handphone and showed it to her teacher. The wallpaper of my phone at that time was Babah’s picture, taken by the princess herself.

“ Look at my father teacher…” she said, holding the phone up to her teacher. When she politely looked at the picture of the dashing Babah, Adik added, “ He is so cute !! ”. I went red with embarrassment. I swear the hallway went quiet. I dared not look at her teacher when I grabbed her and pulled her to me. She really couldn’t shut her mouth when she helpfully said, “ My father is just a boy.. ”. Eh ? What does that mean ?

I smiled awkwardly at her teacher because you know, my daughter looked like she was trying to get a replacement for her mummy ! Surely her mother must be horrible if she was promoting her father like that. Aduih…

Abang then emerged from his class. When Adik saw him she said, “ Have you met my brother, teacher ? ” Without waiting for her teacher’s answer she said, “ This is my brother, Abang. ” Her hand gesturing to him lazily, like an old hand at introducing people.

Hmm……… ( again ).

No comments: