Abang and Adik are angels of Encik Kamil and Cik Puan Kamil.

Thursday, August 23, 2007

I blame it on the telly

It is quite a challenge to teach our children our Islamic values nowadays, it being a science and technology era and all ( read, television is essential to our lives as the air to breathe ). We constantly have to fight to make our Islamic values heard in the midst of the noise of the telly and games consoles.

Last month, my son told me that celebrities do not eat. Celebrities ? “ Yes, ”said Abang. “ They cannot eat. Why ? ” Excactly, why ? Apparently he got it from Mrs Fosters Home for Imaginary Friend, and Blue, the fiendish blue coloured imaginary friend became a celebrity and was refused food. Okay, how do I explain this to him ? Especially since I keep teasing how chubby he looks and he absolutely loved it. He would laugh delightedly when I called him fat. Would he still laugh when I explained that celebrities have this stupid notion that stick thin is beautiful and therefore starve themselves to look good ? How can I explain while not turning him into a 7 year old anorexic ?

Then on Tuesday I was preparing for work and since there is no school, Abang and Adik was perched on our bed watching cartoons after our Subuh prayer. When I put on my top, Abang asked, “ Why are you wearing that Mum ? Are you going to work ? ” After Adik asking me to change my clothes the other day, I was rather indignant. “ Excuse me, this is a long sleeved baju, okay. ”

“ No Mummy, it looks like a Chinese baju…” He said. True enough, it is a pink cheongsam inspired blouse. “ Yes it is and it is okay for work…, ” I said, thinking how critical can my children get. ZAdik all the while was too absorbed with the cartoon and was not giving us any heed. My son then gave me his lovely grin that I love so much and said, “ You look nice Mummy…” nodding his head happily. I beamed at him before he added, “ Nice and sexy…”. My smile faded but my son was still nodding his approval.

“ What is sexy, baby ? ” I asked cautiously, not really sure that I want to hear his explaination. He pondered for awhile before saying “ It means pretty…” I went to him and said, “ No it is not. You have to be careful with the words you use because it could come out wrongly..” At that his face fell. “ I am sorry Mummy….” He said. My face went a few degrees lower. He was so happy just now, proudly thinking that he had done the right thing and here came his awful Mummy pulling him straight down into the dumps. I smiled again, kissed him and thanked him for the compliment he so generously bestowed upon me.

Then yesterday at dawn, I was rushing to buka puasa, sembahyang Maghrib and organizing my kids for prayers. Babah went to play football straight from work. The three of us prayed and at the end when it is time for doa, Abang was hesitant. “ Mum, do I have to doa ? ” he asked. I looked at him, my palms already upwards, ready to seek forgiveness from my Maker. “ You don’t need anything ? ” I asked. “ Well, my exams dah habis….” I sighed. Maybe it is too much to ask from a 7 year old.

Since I was born with a funny bone and a serial teaser from small, I mischievously asked, “ You do not want to ask for a bike or anything then ? ” My face smiley and playful. He sat down again, contemplated for a while then said, “ It is okay lah Mummy. I will ask for a bike when I next see a wishing star…………” Ternganga lah emak yang Melayu ni. He either got it from the telly or from his Enid Blyton… Payah….

No comments: