Abang and Adik are angels of Encik Kamil and Cik Puan Kamil.

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Adik’s Piano Class

After much pleading and whining on Adik’s part and asking and enquiring on mine, Juliette, the lovely and very helpful administrator of the music school, found a piano teacher willing to teach my 3 and a half, unschooled daughter. Last Saturday was her first class.

On the way to class, I asked her many, many times if this is what she really wants. Her eyes were glazed when she said, “ Yes, sure… “. Hmmm….. When we got there, 30 minutes early as usual, her teacher Dahlia was not there yet. At 10.30 Abang went to his class and it was just Adik and I waiting at the corridor.

Then I saw a girl peeking at us from the lobby. I looked at her and resumed my reading. Then I saw her peeking at us again and started hesitantly at us. “ Are you Abang's mother ? “ She asked. I said yes and she said she is Dahlia, Abang’s sister’s teacher.

I took a good look at her. She is still a baby herself, fresh from school and oh so cute. I like it. From her kind face and demeanour, I know she will be patient with my daughter.
-
“ She really wants this. She has been pestering me and I asked Juliette and she said too young until last month she said she found someone who is willing to try, “ said I. She smiled and told me not to worry.

She took Adik’s hand and led her to Studio 5. When the door closed, I fidgeted. I heard her talking to Adik and Adik answering back. I resisted the urge to peek at the little window.

Then I heard the key being pressed and another and another. I looked. She was teaching Adik the fingering. I went back to my bench and waited. I do not know for what, but I just waited. Then I suddenly heard Twinkle Twinkle Little Star being played. Uh – uh. I peeked again and heard my daughter happily singing. Adik usually pretended playing that song on the piano. I just knew she asked the teacher to play it for her.

When I looked again, Dahlia was showing Adik the C-key. She in turn pointed at the A on the piano lid that spelt the piano's maker and said that is an A. Dahlia had to cover the letterings with her hand. I ran.

Abang came out of the class and eagerly asked about his sister. We then waited. When they finally came out, they were holding hands. Adik had a happy look on her face and Dahlia a more cautious one. I was wavering from disappointment and hopeful.

Dahlia : She is small, it will take a long time to teach her.. But she is cute and adorable… ( and squeezed Adik’s cheek ).

Me : I know. But she wanted it so much I just had to ask. Juliette did ask me to join in the Junior Music Class but I can’t because my son has a class at that time.

Dahlia : Yeah, that programme is very good. It is really going to be very slow with her. She needs a fun class with a lot of music. Let me give you the book…

Me : I know it will take long. I have no expectations. I am just happy that somebody is willing to teach, that is all.

She smiled. I like her. When I wanted to pay for Adik’s fees, Juliette said she would talk to Dahlia first. Aaa….. I want to pay because when money is exchanged everything is already assured. I do not want to go next week, my little girl all happy and then, they changed their minds… Waaa………….

I know she is expecting to go back to her music class next week. Hmmm….Like her art class. Adik enjoys her arts class. she would wake up excited every Saturday morning. Even Ivy got caught up with Adik’s enthusiasm. “ Your daughter aaaa is so cute. She is very interested in painting. Using crayons aaa she is okay only but when painting aaa, aiyoo… she would go hahaha and hohoho while she paints.
-
When I apologized for not sending Umar to her on Tuesdays for extra Mandarin, she told me it is fine. Whenever I am ready, she said. Then she added, “ Start next year also can. Maybe Adik can join in Mandarin together lah with Abang…. “. You want to teach my daughter Mandarin, I asked. I was shocked because Adik is certainly a handful. “ Yesss….. She is cute lah. Aiyaa… so fun to have her … “ she said. Really aaaa ? You don’t get rimas aaa when she calls you all the time ?
-
" Okaylah Ivy... Thank you. "

No comments: