Abang and Adik are angels of Encik Kamil and Cik Puan Kamil.

Friday, August 03, 2007

Abang's Sembahyang Camp

Yesterday we had a missive from Abang’s school. Babah who read it said tomorrow ( today le tuh ) is Solat Camp. Students were advised to wear slippers and songkok ( for boys ) and bring a small bag with 2 fresh writing books, pencil case and colour pencils. I did not read the memo. I relied on my husband for the information. So this morning Abang went to school in his baju PJ ( Thursday is his PJ ), songkok and slippers, carrying a small bag with all the stuffs.

I car-pooled with Babah today so this morning after a long time, I sent my boy to school. As we walked to the school compound, I noticed all boys were dressed in their usual uniform. None wore slippers or have a songkok on their head. Oh – oh. When I told Babah about it, he panicked. “ Takpe lah, “ Said I, “ Let’s see how he handles the situation….. ".

My conversation with Abang, en-route to school, was of course focused on his sembahyang etiquette. I lectured on how important for him to sembahyang correctly and therefore have to pay real attention to what his Babah was doing when we pray together and how embarrassed I would be if his teacher tested him and he failed. “ He would think that we are a family of irreverents. “

He gave his customary “ Yes Mummy “ and “ I know Mum “ and “ Okay, Mummy “.

By 1 pm, Babah called me up to ask me to give his son a call. “ I just want to check if he dressed correctly to school and if he was in trouble… “. Okay.

Abang : Hai Mummy.

Mummy : Hai sayang. How was school ?

Abang : Oh hari ni just tulis – tulis je. I got all right Mummy.

Mummy : Really ? That’s nice. Were you in trouble ? Because just now I saw everybody else pakai kasut sekolah and bawak normal bag sekolah.

Abang : Tak de apa – apa pun.

Mummy : So hari ni tak belajar sembahyang ?

Abang : Hari ni ustaz test ambik wuduk. Ustaz nak tengok siapa yang tak tahu.

Mummy : Well… how did you do ?

Abang : Abang Cuma salah dekat kaki ….

Mummy : Itulah. I told you many times about the way you ambik wuduk at your kaki. I told you kan you have to use your hand to sapukan air tu to your kaki…. Blah blah blah. Nag nag nag…

Until I was interrupted by …

Abang : Okay Mum. I love you. Bye ! Toot. Toooot. Tooot…

Cess… he hang up on me….

Tak tahan kena leter lah tu. Dah besarnya anak aku.

No comments: