Abang and Adik are angels of Encik Kamil and Cik Puan Kamil.

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Merajuk Tak Bertempat

We were in the car yesterday and Elsa was listening to a song by Rossa. That song somehow really touched my little girl’s heart. While singing this song, she will caress and kiss our faces with utmost tenderness.

“ Sekalang kau pergi nan jauh…. “ * Usap * * Usap *

“ Sekalang kau tinggalkan aku….” * Kiss * * Kiss *

Coincidently, while she was stroking my face, Umar mentioned that his Bahasa Arab paper in Sekolah Agama is 35/50. I was shocked and my arms flailed upwards on its own accord and accidentally knocked my daughter’s hand. Big mistake. In a split second I grabbed her hand and offered my apologies. Too late. She was already heartbroken.

Her head hung, she repeated, “ Mummy tak sayang Titi…. “

She walked with her Babah and refused to talk to me. Somehow between ordering our food ( we were at ITM Café for my nasi ayam fix ) and waiting for its arrival, Babah managed to upset her further. Instantly she was best friends with Mummy again.

She positioned her body sideways and her head completely turned to her right ( Babah was on her left ) she claimed that Babah tak sayang Titi. When I said he does and even forced Babah to admit it, she said, “ Tak……… Babah tak sayang Titi, “ and shook her head. She then looked at her father and said, “ I don’t think you should sit here Bah… “ rather forlornly.

Dan and I looked at each other, eyes wide, trying very hard not to laugh. My mother had taught me to never laugh at children’s impertinence. They are funny but by laughing, I am encouraging them, she warned. Being the eldest girl of 8, for as long as I could remember, I had always had a baby brother/sister hanging on my waist. Ada aje adik I gelek kat pinggang. I would be talking and teasing and laughing delightedly if they were ever imprudent with their manners. Mummy advised that I will be teaching them that lack of respect and insolence is okay. They would grow up oblivious to their mistakes.

Therefore, I swallowed my smile and told her sternly that she was being rude. The problem is always the ever-present guardian brother. I noticed Umar had stopped drinking and was looking at us. Then, food arrived. Elsa accepted food from her Babah but kept her face turned the other way. The only time she spoke to him was to ask Babah not to look at her.

On the way back to the car, Titi and Umar walked hand in hand. He protectively allowed her to climb in the car first. When Rossa’s song was played again, all was forgotten. She was all smiles and lovey dovey again… Sigh……

No comments: